When can I vote?
The 2022 Cobourg Municipal Election is on Monday October 24, 2022.
The Voting Period will begin in the Town of Cobourg on Friday October 14, 2022 at 9:00 A.M to October 24, 2022 to 8:00 P.M.
In order to be eligible to vote, you must meet the Qualifications of Electors as listed in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, s.17(2)
A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality if, on voting day, if they:
- resides in the local municipality or is the owner or tenant of land there, or is the spouse of such owner or tenant;
- is a Canadian citizen;
- is at least 18 years old; and
- is not prohibited from voting under subsection (3) or otherwise by law.
Students are allowed to vote in both their home municipality and the municipality where they are attending school.
Persons Prohibited from Voting
Under the Municipal Elections Act, the following are prohibited from voting:
- A person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institution.
- A corporation.
- A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity, except as a voting proxy in accordance with section 44 (North Middlesex is utilizing alternative voting measures and therefore voting by proxy is not applicable).
- A person who was convicted of the corrupt practice described in subsection 90 (3), if voting day in the current election is less than five years after voting day in the election in respect of which he or she was convicted.
Voting in the 2022 Municipal Election will be by telephone or Internet. All eligible voters will receive a Voter Information Letter by mail. This sealed envelope will contain a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and a telephone access number and a secure Internet address for voting. This allows voters to vote from the convenience of their own homes or office. Contact information for the Voter Help Centre will also be included.
Electors may cast a vote from any location worldwide as long as they have the information in their Voter Information Letter.
As we approach Voting Day, eligible voters should expect to receive a Voter Information Letter in the mail via Canada Post which will include the following:
- instructions on how to vote using the internet or telephone
- unique PIN allowing each voter to vote once
- dates and hours of voting
- locations and phone numbers of the Voter Help Centre
Should a voter receive more than one Voter Information Letter they must return the other letter(s) to the Town of Cobourg Municipal Office located at 55 King Street West, Cobourg, ON. Electors will be given an opportunity to change their vote before confirming the vote. The voting system allows voters to decline from voting if they wish. The Clerk will report the "unofficial" results as soon as practical on or after the close of polls on October 24, 2022, at 8:00 pm.
Voter Help Centres
|October 14, 2022||9:00 A.M until 4:30 P.M.|
|October 15 to October 16, 2022||9:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M.|
|October 17 to October 21, 2022||9:00 A.M. until 7:00 P.M|
|October 22 to October 23, 2022||9:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M|
|October 24, 2022||9:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M.|
|October 17 to October 21, 2022||10:00 A.M. until 4:30 P.M|
|October 24, 2022||10:00 A.M. until 8:00 P.M.|
Voter Notification Letters (VIL)
Every person on the Town's Voter's List will receive a Voter Notification Card in the mail at the Start of October before the advance voting days begin in early October. While you can vote anywhere, the Letters will show convenient locations near you as well as dates and times for Help Centres.
Make sure you bring your Voter Notification Letter with you when voting to make it a fast and easy process.
If you didn't receive a Voter Information Letter, you may contact the Town of Cobourg at email@example.com or by telephone and 905-372-4301 to get registered to Vote for the 2022 Municipal Election!